Those entitled to relief must be:
- Resident within the parish in which application is submitted for enrolment.
- Wholly destitute of means of subsistence.
- Unable to work and earn a living due to mental and physical causes or both.
- In need of temporary relief due to drought, epidemic disease, fire, flood or other disaster.
- Anyone in or out of the parish who has emergency needs which he cannot meet. This assistance is usually refundable.
Any citizen who, due to circumstances beyond his / her control, finds himself in need of assistance can apply to the nearest Poor Relief Office for temporary assistance. The individual must undertake to repay the Poor Relief Department as soon as he/she is able.