Earthquake Awareness Month 2017
The Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) have designated January as Earthquake Awareness Month, this year, under the theme “Drop Cover Hold, Earthquake Readiness is Within Your Control”. This year, the campaign has been extended from one month to three months; January to March 2017.
Whilst the ODPEM continues to echo the calls for a constant state of preparedness across the country, the St. Catherine Municipal Corporal as the Local Planning Authority has a role to play from the parish level.
Below are some useful Earthquake tips:
If Shaking Begins:
- If inside, Drop, Cover and Hold On - Drop to the ground and take cover under something sturdy like a desk or table, and with one hand, hold on to the object and with your other arm
- Protect your head and neck. If you don’t have anything sturdy to take cover under, crouch down next to an interior wall.
- Stay indoors until the shaking stops and you’re sure it’s safe to exit.
- Stay away from bookcases or furniture that can fall on you.
- Stay away from windows.
- If you are in bed, hold on and stay there, protecting your head with a pillow.
- Find an open spot.
- Find a clear spot away from buildings, trees, streetlights and power lines
- Drop to the ground and stay there until the shaking stops.
- If in a vehicle, stop.
- Pull over to a clear location, stop and stay there with your seatbelt fastened until the shaking stop